Saturday, October 22, 2011

Singing Saturday – “Hush Little Baby”

This has long been my go-to song from rocking my niece almost 13 years ago to my own infant daughter beginning just a little over 2 weeks ago. Here is a common version:

Hush little baby, Don't say a word.
Daddy's going to buy you a Mocking bird.

If that Mocking bird don't sing,
Daddy's going to buy you a diamond ring.

If that diamond ring don't shine,
Daddy's going to buy you a looking-glass.

If the looking-glass get's broke,
Daddy's going to buy you a billy-goat.

If that billy-goat runs away,
Daddy's going to buy you another one day.

I think it’s great that no one version is absolutely correct, and thankfully – there is always room for your own spin to make each time you sing it unique to your own child. =)

And here is a video of me singing one of the many versions I have created. Each time I sing it, it differs after the Garden Rake…just depends on what I can think of to rhyme off the top of my head. Generally, I end it with a long line of humming till I am about to fall asleep myself.
BTW – Warning – ALL I ever wanted growing up was to sing beautifully. I’ve been told everyone can learn to sing. My mom signed me up for lessons with the rumored “best” in the county and we drove 45 minutes a week to get to her. After a few months, she actually sat me on the couch and asked, “Lara, You’re a real sweet girl. You know that right? Ok. I know you really want to sing, but I think it’s time that we free this time slot for someone who is actually able to benefit and progress. Don’t you agree?” She KILLED my Broadway dreams right there, and I’m not sure that even after all these years there is anything that I want to do as badly as perform on stage in a high energy musical, but I'm too afraid to even try for community theater...Drama only, sign me up!
Here goes the ultimate embarrassing act of me singing…Cheers to breaking barriers, right?


Hope you enjoy -

No comments:

Post a Comment