Monday, October 10, 2011

Delivery by Cesarean


::::Timing of Events::::  
5:30AM Arrive at hospital.
9:05AM Enter Operating Room.
9:55AM Leave Operating Room.
12:05PM Hold Baby for the first time.

::::What Happened::::
As we sail further into Fall, the sun had not yet begun to rise during the early morning hour that my alarm clock beeped me awake from my last slumber as just a wife or a family of two. In just a few short hours, I was going to be a mother with a family of three.
The hospital bag was previously packed and ready to go. The engine of the car purred silently in the warm October air, leaving the sleeping neighbors to remain comfortable in their beds. It only took seconds after the wheels left the driveway for the cocoons nestled in my body to rip open and spread the wings of (what I hope is) beautiful butterflies. My strong, confident display was quickly beginning to crack with worry and fear. Thankfully, it was still too dark for my husband to see the panic growing in my eyes.
Beaming like I was lined with gold, I convinced everyone (myself included) that I was 100% ready to “do this thing,” without a care in the world…but honestly…I was scared silly.
At the hospital – we registered at the single open cubicle in the empty emergency room entrance. We were guided to our room by a polite nurse.
-          Step one upon arrival was the easiest by far… putting on the hospital gown.
-          Fluids by IV started.
-          I was transformed into a hospital-high-end supermodel when the nurse accessorized my lovely gown with three beautiful (aren’t they always?) wrist bands.
o   A white one with all my patient information and the barcode for medicines received.
o   A yellow “Fall Risk” band, because after surgery I would be.
o   An orange “Allergy” band reminding all medical staff to just be aware that I have an allergy to Penicillin.
{Ok, so maybe it was a nice variation of colors perfect for the Fall season, but anything but fashionable or comfortable.}

-          Now, it was time for the all telling Ultra Sound. The very last one to tell us if were moving onward with the surgery, or if by some miracle the baby had turned and we would be discussing inducement…. Still very much breech. Surgery it is.}
o   Frank Breech: The fetus' buttocks are aimed toward the birth canal and the legs stick straight up in front of the body. The feet are near the head. American Pregnancy Association
-          Blood was drawn to keep on hand just in case it was needed during the operation. For which another band, this time a blue one.
-          We attended Lamaze classes even though we knew were breech, and would more than likely end up having a C-Section. The class was extremely valuable, and prepared us for what we could expect to happen before, during, and after the surgery.
-          A team of student nurses just giddy with excitement came in with their supervisor to administer two separate drugs to me to help with the acid in my stomach.
o   An IV injected medicine, which needs to be distributed very slowly or it can cause (heighten) anxiety levels in the patient.
o   The nastiest liquid shot you’re ever going to try. It is in a container similar (but bigger) than coffee creamer. (Prepare yourself now if you know you need a C-Section.)

-          Next, it was time for a shave. A nurse came in to shave around my belly button and the top of my pubic area.  Giving the doctor a nice clean area to work.
-          Compression Boots. It was when the compression boots (to minimize blood clots after surgery) came out that my anxiety grew so intense that I had to pace the room. I finally sat in a chair, and found myself crying in worry with my husband kneeling next to me rubbing my arm and back as comforting as he could with as helpless as he felt.
{I was asked to use the restroom one last time before being wheeled down to the O.R. “holding area”. My body was shaking, but I couldn’t tell if it was because I was cold or nerves. I tried to convince myself that it was cold, but my body temperature has been running so high during the pregnancy, I’m certain it was worry.
The good thing about my anxiety being so high for so long is that I was able to fall asleep for a few minutes while in the holding area. My husband continued to stroke my hand as I snored away, waking myself up two separate times, but it relaxed me enough to get my eyes and face clear of tears. }
-          Now it was time to be greeted by the doctor and reassured that I was healthy and he knows how to do his job very well. I guess he’s never watched Grey’s Anatomy…
-          Next, the anesthesiologist introduced himself. He brought a heavy dose of anxiety back as he asked me several medical questions that I have already answered, and then asked if I had loose or missing teeth (anyone know why? – Looking answer up later).
-          Being wheeled into the O.R. and transferred to the operating table.
{My husband had to wait in the holding area for a little while I got situated in the O.R. and my spinal put in. I knew I was shivering now from a little of both, cold and nerves, because I felt only slightly better when Nurse Michelle wrapped me up in heated blankets. It took me awhile to get my shoulders to relax enough to let my back form the perfect “C” for the proper placement of the needle. }
-          Insert Catheter.
{Within minutes I was numb. I was told a catheter was being put into place, but I couldn’t feel a thing from my breast bone down. I’m pretty sure that my face turned a shade pink when my doctor said, “Wow, that’s a lot of urine.” All I could do was shrug my shoulders and smile awkwardly. I’m already lying on the table with a room full of strangers naked from the bottom down, and now you want to have a conversation about the amount urine leaving my body that I can’t control? It was just…awkward.}
-          Lay arms out on resting pads.  
-          Oxygen tapped in through the nose.
-          Bring in husband.
{After getting the oxygen supply through my nose the blue sheet was raised over my head, and I heard the doctor tell a nurse to go “get her husband,” and then he asked for a scalpel. I knew things were underway at this point. Chris (my husband), was ushered in and took a set just over my left shoulder. Her rubbed my arm and caressed my hand. As the panic began to set in as the numbing/burning sensation moved into my chest area (and I’m thinking this is where I die) – Chris tries to refocus my attention by selecting random things to talk about. It also helped the doctor and a surgical assistant were talking about houses for sale on Lake Shore Drive… I remember thinking that Grey’s Anatomy has some truth to it when the surgeons all stand around the patient talking about random life things.}
-          Pressure here and there.
-          Baby Cries.
{There was no pain, but the pressure was pretty intense. The elbow of the doctor must have been used to help move her to where he could grab her, because it took a few minutes and what felt like a whole lot of work to get her out of there.
We only had one ultra sound to tell us the sex of the baby. I was nervous that the baby would be a boy because that’s my luck after painting the room pink. The doc laughed, “Well, I can confirm she’s a girl from this angle.”  
The pressure continued, I could feel the pushing and the pulling happening to get her out, and then I hear this tiny shallow cry. As she was being passed from the doctor to the Pediatrician I caught a small glimpse of her.
After her health was confirmed by the pediatrician, she was bundled and held next to my head for a few seconds for me to see her and give her a kiss. The expected 5lbs baby from the last ultra sound was a little off…My baby girl was 7lbs 7oz and 19 inches long….Perfect and healthy.
My husband left to follow her back to the nursery where she was bathed and had more test ran while I was having my placenta delivered and being glued back together.}  ....Recovery Road to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment